An all-season destination, the Lakes Region is home to 70,000 acres of pristine waterways surrounded by mountains, woods, farmlands, quiet villages and busy resort towns.
The largest of the region’s 273 lakes and ponds is Lake Winnipesaukee, encompassing 72 square miles, 274 islands and a 200-mile shoreline. Other popular waterways are Squam Lake, Lake Winnisquam, the Merrimack River, and Newfound Lake. Water enthusiasts enjoy boating, fishing, kayaking, swimming, and waterskiing. On Winnipesaukee, cruise aboard the M/S Mount Washington, or the M/V Sophie C Mail Boat, the oldest floating U.S. Post Office.
Campers can hike trails of all skill levels, and enjoy incredible views from Mount Major in Alton and Rattlesnake Mountain in Holderness.
Attractions abound in the region. Picturesque New England towns such as Bristol, Meredith, Plymouth, and Wolfeboro feature unique shops and restaurants. Families enjoy Squam Lake Science Center in Holderness, The Loon Center and Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, The Wright Museum of World War II in Wolfeboro, The NH Farm Museum in Milton, The Ashland Railroad Station Museum in Ashland, a restored Blacksmith Shop in Union, and the Antique Boat Museum in Wolfeboro.
Weirs Beach offers nightlife and entertainment, including one of the last drive-in movie theaters in the U.S. In June, motorcycle enthusiasts gather for Laconia Motorcycle Week, a New Hampshire tradition and one of the top three rallies in the United States.
Autumn features festivals and foliage, winter features ice fishing, ice sailing, skating and world-class skiing (downhill and cross-country).
The region’s central location also makes it an ideal base for day trips to visit other regions.
For more info about the Lakes Region
Lakes Region Chamber of Commerce, 603-524-5534
Meredith Area Chamber of Commerce, 603-279-6121
Wolfeboro Area Chamber of Commerce, 1-800-516-5324
Greater Ossipee Chamber of Commerce, 603-539-6201
Points of Interest
- M/S Mount Washington, Lake Winnipesaukee
- New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon
- Castle in the Clouds, Moultonborough
- Wright Museum of World War II, Wolfeboro
- Squam Lake Natural Science Center, Holderness
- Weirs Beach Pier & Drive In Theatre
- Laconia Motorcycle Week (June)
- Gunstock Mountain Aerial Treetop Adventures & Zip Tour (hiking, ziplining, winter skiing)
- Tanger Outlet Mall, Tilton
- Flying Monkey Theatre, Plymouth
- Rattlesnake Mountain, Holderness (hiking)
- Monkey Trunks, Weirs Beach (ropes course & ziplining)
- Newfound Lake, the third-largest lake located entirely in New Hampshire